Ten Things You Should Never Say to Patients: Communication Tools You Need
(Dentists, Hygienists, and Assistants, Half Day)
Course Description –Every superb dental professional needs two things - clinical or technical expertise and good communication skills. Clinical/technical expertise is not enough to build and maintain thriving patient relationships. This seminar dissects some of the most challenging communication scenarios in the dental office, such as what to say when patients reject treatment recommendations or when discussing third party benefits and financial matters. Other topics include one-on-one communication about patient care issues, barriers to communication, developing a superb chairside manner, reducing disappointments, verbal and non-verbal communication, and using effective analogies to assist patient understanding in discussions about dentistry. Every attendee will gain useful information to improve his/her own communication skills. Doctors and all staff members can benefit from this seminar.
Upon completion of this course, the attendee will be able to:
- Recognize the importance good verbal skills in patient interaction.
- Understand the cycle of communication.
- Recognize barriers to communication with regard to patient care.
- Implement new strategies for reducing disappointments.
- Use effective analogies when discussing different aspects of dental treatment.
- Recognize how to promote dentistry without using hard-selling tactics.
- Respond effectively to treatment concerns.
1. Communication considerations and improving clinical outcomes
2. The cycle of communication
3. Barriers to communication
4. Strategies for disappointments
5. Using effective analogies is discussions about dentistry
6. Verbal skills for promoting supportive maintenance
7. Dealing with difficult patients – treatment concerns
8. Promoting dentistry gracefully without being pushy
9. Interacting with the angry patient
10. Five essentials of a superb chairside manner
11. The importance of listening
12. Becoming the consummate dental professional